List:       vnc-list
Subject:    Re: set specific IP addressed for viewer help
From:       "Scott C. Best" <sbest () best ! com>
Date:       2004-05-25 21:11:50

Joe:
	Heya. One minor problem when trying to use AuthHosts for that
VNC Viewer address: 10.113.10.141 belongs to a "private" class of
Internet addresses that are not routable on the public Internet. That
is, whoever has that IP address is behind a router that's doing NAT'ing
of some sort.
	So when your router sees the VNC connection, the actual IP
address the connection is coming from will be completely different.
Fortunately...that IP address should be pretty stable. Have them open
a web-browser to, say, "http://www.whats-my-ip.com" and tell you what
IP address they really have. Then put that address in your AuthHosts
setting.

good luck,
Scott

> I'm trying to set up a VNC server so that it can only be viewed by one
> specific computer.  I've looked through the manuals on the VNC webpage,
> but didn't exactly understand how to set the registry entry.  The IP
> address I'm trying to view from is 10.113.10.141.  I checked in My
> computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3\default and there was
> no AuthHosts name.  I'm not sure if I have to add it or what.  Any help
> would be appreciated.
>
> -Joe

<snip>

> It belongs in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ORL\WinVNC3

<snip>