List:       vnc-list
Subject:    Re: Font Size is a VNC question
From:       Grant McDorman <grant.mcdorman () cedara ! com>
Date:       2003-05-21 13:42:53

(copied to list so reply is archived)

On May 20, 2003 06:42 pm, you wrote:
> Yes is a VNC question
> Sorry for my bad english but I speak spanish
> I mean:
>     I have a font and a size font in my KDE desktop (for example) when I
> connect directly to the graphic session in the machine, but when I connect
> to this desktop (or user graphic session) thrue other machine with
> vncviewer the font and their size change to a small one. If I work in a
> software, for example with kylix I have to use, for example, a 16 font
> size, but again when I connect directly to the session in the machine and I
> try to work again in the proyect the 16 font size is to big and I have to
> change all to a 12 or 10 font size again.
>
> This is my problem....
>
> Thanks

Well, really it's only visible because VNC's font path is different than your
local display. This could also happen if you switched to a different machine
with a font path similar to VNC's.

You need to fix the font path. On my machine (a Sun Solaris system), the font
path for VNC looks like (split into multiple lines for readability):

/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,
/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,
/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,
/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,
/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/

Notice that 'fonts/75dpi' comes before 'fonts/100dpi'.

You need to have the 100dpi fonts come first. The simplest way to do this is
  xset +fp x-directory-path/fonts/100dpi
which will add the 100dpi directory to the beginning of the list.

You can also override the entire list with 'xset fp='. It may be possible to
set the font path to exactly the same one as for your local display; however,
some of the fonts available for your local display may not be supported by
VNC (especially on Sun Solaris systems).

In any event, put the appropriate 'xset' command(s) in your .vnc/xstartup
file.

A more complicated solution, but a bit more difficult to implement, is to use
an X font server. If you want to do that, e-mail me back - with details of
what platform you're using (Linux Red Hat, Solaris, HP-UX, whatever) and I'll
try to give you appropriate details.

(In theory you could change your local display instead of VNC's, but it's
probably better to change VNC's settings.)
- --

Grant McDorman <grant.mcdorman@cedara.com>, Sr. Software Design Consultant
Cedara Software Corp.  <URL:http://www.cedara.com>
  (formerly I.S.G. Technologies Inc.)