List:       vnc-list
Subject:    RE: connecting to :0
From:       Charles Hines <chuck.hines () baesystems ! com>
Date:       2002-05-31 12:48:49

[Hm...this reply bounced yesterday, lets try again...]

Mark> On 30/05/2002 18:28:20 Glenn Mabbutt wrote:
>> x0rfbserver, here:
>>
>> http://www.hexonet.de/software/x0rfbserver/

Mark> Hmm: 386-linux OK but otherwise hack through the compilation jungle ?
Mark> Any other binaries out there (sparc-Solaris  please ;-} )  ?

Brandon> Do you know of anyone who has compiled this for Solaris?  I am having
Brandon> issues getting it compiled?

The author actually released a newer version at one point (0.6.1) that
supposedly compiled easier under Solaris, but I don't see it on the website
now...

I've got it sitting here, but I haven't compiled it yet.  I gave it a half
hearted attempt one day and hit some problems (or maybe that was in the
compilation of the xclass widgets, it was a while ago now) but since I really
didn't need it at the time, I really didn't try very hard.

Unfortunately I don't have time to reattempt compiling it right this moment,
but perhaps I can try again in a little while.  If I can get it to go, I'd
more than gladly provide the binaries.

Brandon> Has anyone used x0rfbserver?

Several on this list have, I believe (not myself though).  Performs slower
than the standard Xvnc but works, I believe.

As a side note, there is also the VNC for XFree86(tm) v4.x project:

                        http://xf4vnc.sourceforge.net/

that I believe (hm, I seem to believe a lot of things) provides a module for
XFree86 4.2.0 that you can supposedly just drop in on a Linux box to get this
ability to view :0 as well, and quite likely with much better performance.

Chuck

--
Charles K. Hines   <ckh@requesttech.com>   <chuck.hines@baesystems.com>
Principal Scientist at ReQuest Technologies Inc   (http://www.ReQuestTech.com/)

         "You tell him and I will smack you.  I will smack you like a
            bad bad donkey, okay!" - Pepe in 'Muppets From Space'