List:       vnc-list
Subject:    RE: Security...
From:       "Coyle, Joe" <jcoyle () wsi ! com>
Date:       2002-05-31 19:26:09

People are foolish if they do not use SSH2 tunneling with VNC.  If you want
to employ good security measures then you should only have VNC set to "Allow
Loopback Connections" with "Only Allow Loopback"

SSH2 adds another layer of security and encryption.  Even if you do not
allow VNC connections from the outside world, it is still a good practice on
a LAN or WAN.

SSH2 tunneling only adds a few extra steps to the process.

I also recommend that you do not allow any SSH protocol 1 connections.  This
is very easy to disable on any Unix or Windows type system.  Of course this
means that you need to have an updated SSH2 compliant server installed.

Happy VNCing

  Joe Coyle
  Systems Administrator
  Weather Services International