List:       vnc-list
Subject:    RE: WinVNC 3.3.3 Registry Settings
From:       "Beerse,_Corné" <cbeerse () hiscom ! nl>
Date:       2002-05-31 14:07:37

If it's on M$Windows, users will tamper with it, if you like it or not and
if they know it or not.

> I found out that you should add the DWORD strings "AllowShutdown" and
> "AllowProperties" to the
> HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\ORL\WinVNC3\Default
> settings.

Registry hacking is not supported, not even my M$, the inventors of the
registry.

> The problem is of the 5 clients I'm testing the software with
> right now, 2
> of them work fine until you add those registry settings then
> they simply
> don't work. A 3rd client, let's call this client "Client A",
> you can set the
> password thru admin tools, click apply, click ok. I chose to "Install
> Default Reg Settings" (because this is what I assumed made
> the registry
> settings "appear" in RegEdit). I re-start. Go into the regedit to add
> "AllowShutdown" and "AllowProperties" and there is nothing in
> the registry
> AT ALL for WinVNC3 (at the path mentioned above). And if I go
> ahead and add
> "AllowShutdown" and "AllowProperties" and restart...now VNC
> will tell me
> that there is no password set and properties are locked. Huh?
> Password was
> set before, now its magically not there anymore?

It's no magic, the default reg settings include 'no passwors' Hence you
should first set the default reg settings (if you realy want to) and then
change the passwd...

Registry settings are edited in a life system. The registry editor you use
somehow buffers the settings. It's like editing the same file with 2
editors.

> What to be more confused? :) --- Client A is the SAME EXACT
> COMPUTER (same
> hardware components, same OS, same software) as the two final
> clients that
> work flawlessly W/ the registry settings edited to disallow
> shutdown or
> tampering with the properties.

I bet the registry differs. If not, then change at least the name of one of
the machines to prevent network troubles. THen the registry differs...

> Am I doing something wrong? Is there an order you are suppose
> to follow when
> installing and setting up WinVNC on a client? Why all the in
> consistency
> from machine to machine?

Do you wonder why the course on registry hacking by Micro$oft is: don't, if
you like to, still don't, then if you did, you miss support if you get into
troubles. The support by third parties is about the same, they might put
some trial and error hacking in the course but then agian, there is no such
thing about support for registry hacking. All registry hacks must be
conssidered as "hey, this works for me, it might work for you but then, it
can also cause troubles".

CBee