List:       vnc-list
Subject:    RE: Java applet over ports 8080 or 1503
From:       "Beerse,_Corné" <cbeerse () HISCOM ! NL>
Date:       2002-05-30 7:15:19

Is this a M$Windows PC or a unix machine? If M$Windows, then sorry, I don't
know details.

For unix variants (including linux): this vncserver is a script that invokes
Xvnc. Try to figure out how the scrip calles the Xvnc in the end and what
happens afterward. If you type `Xvnc -help` you get a list of opitons,
including options to set the rfbport (5900 range), httpport (5800 range) and
manny others.

> I am assuming there are more ports involed behind the scenes and
> would like to find out how to keep it down to just 1 port.

The only way to keep it down to one port is to only use the rfb port (5900
range) and disable all others. OOPS for unix: don't disable the X11 ports
(6000) as it is useless without it, however they may be restricted to
localhost.

> Also,  Once this is done I would like to have apache host a page
> instead of the VNC embedded HTTP server.  Or is this what I need to
> work on is how to have apache host it and disregard the settings i
> posted at the top of this message.

For the unix variants, that's easy, I found out about it and posted it about
a month ago. Roughly: Copy the vncviewer.jar and index.vnc to the apache
http area, Rename index.vnc to index.html and edit the internals to the
obvous values. The port is the vncviewer port (5900 range). The widht of the
java applet is the same as the vncserver width, the height is about 30
pixels more than the vncserver height. Be sure to update the path to the
java applet.

> If there are any sites that I could read regarding this please let me
> know.  Thanks.

http://www.sourcecodecorner.com/articles/vnc/linux.asp

Success,

CBee