List:       visual-tcl
Subject:    Re: [vtcl] small app data file recomendataions
From:       Leon Brooks <leon () brooks ! smileys ! net>
Date:       1999-08-28 15:54:12

"rjent@rjent.pair.com" wrote:
> find this to be risky for record deletion as well as other things and I am
> wandering if someone could offer a better way.

Start by wrapping the access in a lock-file or doing the DB ops in a
client/server mode (write a small server application to expect something
simple, for example:
  a data|data|data     to add a line, including a unique record ID)
  d recordID           to delete a line
  f key                to find a line) and then this one task can
daemonize [socket -server handlercode portnum] and deal with the data
file access proper and all of the client tasks just open a network
socket connection [socket serveraddr portnum] to it and send a command
when they want something done to the data.