List:       vim-multibyte
Subject:    Re: Vim multibyte support for non-utf8 encodings
From:       Hye-Shik Chang <perky () FreeBSD ! org>
Date:       2005-07-16 11:46:37

On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 12:44:34PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Hye-Shik Chang wrote:
>
> > The current version of vim doesn't handle non-utf8 multibyte encodings
> > such as EUC and/or GBK in FreeBSD.  Cursor moves around weird places
> > inside a character and the last character on each lines disappears
> > sometimes.
[snip]

> The behavior of mblen() on various systems has always been a bit unclear
> to me.  Your remark makes a lot of sense, but I wonder why nobody had
> this problem before.

In fact, many of Japanese FreeBSD users seems to have been suffered
from the problem:

http://www.queen.ne.jp/iMA/showmdir.pl?ports-jp=Current&num=14694&link=20040430015955%2eGA52106%25st%40be%2eto
 (even if you can't read japanese, you still can discover some
alphabets on the page. :)

I didn't aware of the problem because I'm using UTF-8 locale, but
few friends of mine asked a help to me.

> I'll include this now in Vim 7 and await further comments.  Hopefully
> there is no mblen() implementation that crashes when invoked with a NULL
> pointer.

Thanks for applying the fix!  I think the fix will not harm any
platform.  mblen(NULL, 0); is clearly defined in POSIX as a reset
method.

Thanks,
Hye-Shik