List:       vim-multibyte
Subject:    Can't convert this file encoding...
From:       Valery Kondakoff <strauss () orc ! ru>
Date:       2002-04-07 18:18:06

Hello, Ron!

7 ΐοπελό 2002 γ., you wrote to me:

>>Thank you for your answer. I downloaded your iconv.dll and replaced
>>the previous one (downloaded from http://vim.sourceforge.net/, BTW the
>>both files are the same size) but the problem still remains. :(

RA> Sorry, try again.  I had an older iconv.dll there.  The newer one is in its
RA> place.

Thank you.

I (re)downloaded updated file... Unfortunately, the problem still exist.
:(
I can reproduce this problem on two machines (at home and at work),
both running WinXP (currently I have no access to any PC, that runs
Win9* or WinME).

Example file that I send in my previous message is displayed
correctly in all the editors (Bred2, FAR internal editor/viewer,
Windows internal command-line "Edit"), but, unfortunately, not in VIM...

I'm very new to VIM-world. Maybe I'm doing smth wrong? Smth with VIM
settings?

BTW, I have another one "encoding"-related problem. There it is:
currently I need to view/edit files in three encodings - cp1251
(windows default), cp866 (DOS) and koi8-r (Unix one). When trying to
perform some kind of (semi)automatic encoding detection I wrote in my
vimrc: "set fileencodings=cp866,koi8-r,cp1251".

This setting works as expected - in most cases files are opened in
correct encoding, but there is an additional drawback: most files with
no local letters (with no russian language inside) are opened in cp866
(the first one mentioned in "fileencodings") encoding instead of the
default cp1251. And if I'm changing the encoding order to "set
fileencodings=cp1251,cp866,koi8-r" the other two encodings are not
(auto)detected anymore, becouse they are "stealed" with cp1251...

Please, let me understand - if there is smth I can do with atomatic
encoding detection? I just want to open _all_ files in cp1251, except
files that are encoded in cp866 or koi8-r... Is it possible?

Thank you!

--
Best regards,
 Valery Kondakoff                  mailto:strauss@orc.ru

[End of diatribe. We now return you to your regularly scheduledprogramming...]
--Larry Wall