List:       vim-mac
Subject:    Please help with vim 7.0 if you can!
From:       Benji Fisher <benji () member ! AMS ! org>
Date:       2006-04-21 22:39:44

Vim Mac fans:

     This is a call for help from those who know something about
programming on Mac OS X.  (I am not one of them!)

     Vim 7.0 is nearing the end of beta testing, and the status of the
OS X version is not good.  Please help fix it if you can.  The situation
is complicated by the fact that some people get better results compiling
than I do.  Maybe I have to fix something on my system ...

     There seem to be two main problems:

1. If compiled with "normal" features (in particular, -multi_byte
-iconv) then copying from Vim.app to the system clipboard is broken.  If
you copy ordinary text (with "+yL for example) and paste into
TextEdit.app , you get something that looks like Asian characters.  This
problem does not appear if Vim.app is compiled with "big" or "huge"
features (+multi_byte +iconv).

2. There are problems with font rendering and antialiasing.  AFAIK there
are no problems if the 'guifont' option is left empty.  With

:set gfn=Monaco:h9

for example, text is sometimes garbled.  For example,

:help

and then E (in Normal mode, end of the WORD) messes up the display of
the *help.txt* tag.

     I believe that some changes were made between vim 6.4 and 7.0 that
probably affected (2) and may have affected (1).  It looks as though the
job was not finished.  Since we want something stable and usable for the
release of vim 7.0, it might be better to revert to the old stuff, but
even that may not be a trivial task.  As I said at the top, I am not
competent to do it myself.

					--Benji Fisher