List:       vim-mac
Subject:    Re: Vim 7 BUS error
From:       Benji Fisher <benji () member ! AMS ! org>
Date:       2006-03-31 4:07:45

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 04:28:37PM -0500, Jeremy Conlin wrote:
> I just downloaded and compiled the latest beta version of Vim.  It
> seemed to compile just fine, but it doesn't work.  When I launch the
> gui version it just bounces in the dock and uses up all my CPU.  When
> I use Vim from the terminal I get the following error
>
> 16:25:29 hamrollup ~/bin/vim7/src$ vim
> Vim: Caught deadly signal BUS
> Vim: Finished.
> Bus error
>
> I have a MacBook running Tiger (of course).  I tried compiling with
> and without the suggestions Benji made in an earlier email and neither
> works.  Any suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Jeremy

     I guess MacBook means Intel, so if you have any version of XCode it
must be the most recent one.  OTOH, "latest beta version of Vim" changes
its meaning approximately once a day.  I have lots of suggestions, but
most reflect a bit of frustration on my part.  (Why don't computers Just
Work?)

Use a pre-compiled binary.
Check for hardware problems, especially memory.
Study the error/warning messages spit out by make.
If you let Stuffit get near the archive, do penance.
Try again.

HTH					--Benji Fisher