List:       vim-mac
Subject:    Re: Newbie Upgrading on Mac
From:       Chris Devers <cdevers () pobox ! com>
Date:       2005-06-04 0:48:02

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Jason Van Anden wrote:

> - how do I change the path statement to call [new Vim] instead of 6.2?

Edit the $PATH variable in your login scripts.

If you're using the Bash shell, you should have a ~/.bashrc file; if
not, create one. There needs to be a PATH declaration something like:

    export PATH=~/bin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH

In this example, I'm prepending my personal ~/bin directory at the front
of my $PATH, then /usr/local/bin (which is where a custom-installed Vim
would probably end up for me), then the rest of the $PATH variable as it
already existed before this line was executed. You'll usually already
have at least something for $PATH -- use

    $ echo $PATH

on the command line to examine it -- so this just adds what I want to
what was already there.

So. Edit ~/.bashrc, then start a new shell. You should have the new
value for $PATH, but if you don't, ~/.bashrc may not be getting run at
shell launch time. If a

    $ source ~/.bashrc

gets the result you want, then this is the case, and you need to turn on
running ~/.bashrc at shell start time by adding

    source ~/.bashrc

to your ~/.bash_profile (or just ~/.profile) as well. (Yes, there are
too many weird quirks about this, but nevermind.)

If you're using the tcsh shell, the outline is the same as above, but
you'll need to add something like

    setenv path = ( ~/bin /usr/local/bin $path )

to your ~/.tcshrc or ~/.cshrc file.

Make sense?

--
Chris Devers