List:       vim-mac
Subject:    Re: Error opening files with dot z extension on gvim for OS X
From:       Jim Tittsler <jwt () onjapan ! net>
Date:       2005-03-06 13:23:20

On Mar 6, 2005, at 08:09, Carl Youngblood wrote:

> Hi, I'm having a problem with gvim when I open files ending in .z
> extension.  These are just plain unix text files.  I'm writing source
> code for the ZPL language, which expects files to have a dot z
> extension.  For some reason gvim (not vi) gives me:
>
> Error detected while processing function <SNR>12_read:
> line 32:
> E484: Can't open file /tmp/v65761/1
> Hit ENTER or type command to continue

Is it .z or .Z?  (Or are the files on a case insensitive filesystem?)

I suspect that vim thinks they are compressed files (see :help
compress), and is trying (and failing) to automatically expand them for
you.  As you discovered you can change their extension, or disable that
feature by including
let loaded_gzip = 1
in your .vimrc or .gvimrc

--