List:       vim-mac
Subject:    Re: Mysterious grey bar
From:       Afternoon <afternoon () uk2 ! net>
Date:       2004-06-11 4:32:36

Returning to the mysterious grey problem. This started happening to me
a couple of weeks ago. I did nothing to my version of Vim or my config
files, but suddenly I'm in diff mode all the time!

Today built 6.3 to see if this would fix the problem. It does not.
Neither does -u NONE -U NONE. Interestingly, only the GUI goes into
diff mode, the console incarnation is fine (yes they're the same
binary).

I've gone down the autocmd route for now.

Let me know if you would like me to try anything, including recompiling
with different options.

Ben

On 15 Apr 2004, at 10:05, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Ben Kovitz wrote:
>
>> On Apr 14, 2004, at 2:48 PM, Chris Willmore wrote:
>>
>>> I've found that the build of Vim that I'm using refuses to start up
>>> in
>>> anything other than diff mode, which is really strange (the grey bar
>>> was the first clue). It seems to ignore any direct commands (e.g.
>>> "set
>>> diffcolumn=0") in the .vimrc, so I've had to put the following line
>>> in
>>> there:
>>>
>>> 	autocmd VimEnter * set nodiff foldcolumn=0 noscrollbind wrap
>>
>> Thank you, Chris, and Aman Patel, and Bram Moolenaar: the problem was
>> indeed that Vim was in diff mode.  (And thanks for writing Vim!)
>>
>> Also over here, putting "set nodiff" into my .gvimrc did not prevent
>> Vim from entering diff mode, but adding the command you suggested
>> above
>> did.  Thanks!
>>
>> One other observation: this happens on my AlBook but not on the G5 I
>> use at work.  Both are running the same version of OS X (10.3.3) and
>> both are running the same build of Vim (6.2, 18-Jan-2004 15:51:08,
>> including patches 1-195).  Running even with an identical .gvimrc, the
>> AlBook comes up in diff mode and the G5 doesn't.
>
> Very strange.  You must have done something in your environment to
> cause
> this.  Did you rename the Vim command perhaps?  Using an alias?
>
> Also try using "vim -u NONE -U NONE other-arguments" to skip your
> .vimrc
> and plugins.
>
> --
> LAUNCELOT: Isn't there a St. Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh's in Cornwall?
> ARTHUR:    No, that's Saint Ives.
>                  "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY)
> PICTURES LTD
>
>  /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@Moolenaar.net -- http://www.Moolenaar.net
>  \\\
> ///        Sponsor Vim, vote for features --
> http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
> \\\              Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org
>   ///
>  \\\  Buy at Amazon and help AIDS victims --
> http://ICCF.nl/click1.html ///

(q)	Ben Godfrey?
(a)	Web Developer and Designer
	See http://aftnn.org/ for details