List:       vim-mac
Subject:    Re: Problem with Apple terminal and UTF-8
From:       Andre Berger <andre.berger () web ! de>
Date:       2004-03-24 8:40:39

* Julien Palmas <julien.palmas@eng.monash.edu.au>, 2004-03-24 09:19 +0100:
> Hi list,

Hi Julien,

> I've also posted this message on the vim-multybite list because it
> concerns Terminal.app application from Apple and UTF-8 encoding.
> When i set my terminal to UTF-8, and in vim i do :set encoding=utf-8
> and :set termencoding=utf-8, i don't get the right characters for "é"
> and stuff.
> but, if i set my Terminal.app with ISO latin1, and vim with :set
> encoding=utf-8 and :set termencoding=latin1, i get good results.
>
> I don't think this is normal.
>
> can someone tell me what's wrong ?
>
> thanks
> julien
>
> I am using Mac OS 10.3.3 on a powerbook, french keyboard, vim 6.1 from
> Fink

We had a lenghty discussion about this here, the vim digraph scheme
has changed. The result: If you compile the latest Vim with
multibyte-support and digraphs, set your Terminal.app to UTF-8, and
use

  set encoding=utf-8
  let &termencoding = &encoding

in both .vimrc and .gvimrc, everything works just fine.

-André