List:       vim-mac
Subject:    Re: Eliminating StuffIt from the OS X build process
From:       Dany St-Amant <dany.stamant () sympatico ! ca>
Date:       2003-10-27 0:36:17

Le vendredi, 24 oct 2003, à 17:31 Canada/Eastern, Daniel Sandler a
écrit :

>> Just a quick note: opening .hqx files can have nasty side effects...
>
> That's for sure.
>
> Is there any particular reason that BinHex is being used to encapsulate
> these Mac resources, rather than something a little easier to
> manipulate
> from make or jam?  (That is, something that can be used with blocking
> shell tools?)  I have a couple of ideas on how this might be done:

As I always decode it before hand, I never saw an issue. Beside
Muraoka's
suggestion, one could possible use an AppleScript as Stuffit Expander
accept
a destination folder through AppleScript.

> Suggestion 1: Use the OS X pseudo-file spec to manipulate resources

No can do. This will not work on the pre-MacOS X.

> Suggestion 2: use DeRez/Rez, part of the OS X developer tools

This should work fine as both MPW and old CodeWarrior version
supported Rez.

>   Usage: once you have a gui_mac.rsrc you like, use DeRez to create a
>   gui_mac_static.r (since gui_mac.r already exists to include dynamic
>   stuff like VIM_VERSION_*) and check the new .r file into CVS.  Use
>   $REZ from the Makefile to reconstitute gui_mac.rsrc when needed.

One file should be enough as the current gui_mac.r was extracted from
the original gui_mac.rsrc to properly propagate the version number.

Dany