List:       vim-mac
Subject:    Re: How do I avoid "Press RETURN" at launch? -> shm=at?
From:       Benji Fisher <fisherbb () bc ! edu>
Date:       2002-03-05 19:12:00

On Saturday, March 2, 2002, at 04:41 AM, Sven Guckes wrote:

> * Seal, John J <sealj@indy.raytheon.com> [020301 20:36]:
>> What I want is for Vim to launch and display the text when I
>> double-click a file, without having to press Return first.
>
> sure..
>
>> I've read everything I can find on avoiding |hit-enter|,
>> but I still have to do it when I double-click a file owned by Vim 6.
>> Setting ch=2 and shm=a doesn't help.
>
> mind you, the 'a' flag means "all of the *above*" -
> but the description has some more flags  *below*.
>
> So how about adding the 't' flag, ie ":set shm=at"?
>
>       t truncate file message at the start if it is too long to fit
>         on the command-line, "<" will appear in the left most column.
>
> (I keep reading this as ":set schmatt". ;-)

      Nice idea, but it does not work for me.  I just tried it on OS X
(Carbon vim 6.0) and I recall having this problem on Os 8.x.  It looks
as though "t" is already part of the default for 'shm', I already have
'ch' set to 2, and there is plenty of room for the message.  It just
feels like making me hit the <CR>. :-(

>> (Interestingly, the message actually says
>> "Press RETURN" instead of "Hit ENTER".

      I get "Hit Enter" on OS X.

> Which version are you using again?  Vim-6?
> I keep forgetting with all those users.. ;-)
> Mind you, there are different versions for Mac
> (and meanwhile I have lost interest
>  in keeping up-to-date with them).
>
> Sven  [still waiting for *the* VimMac for 68k]

      Good luck. ;)

					--Benji Fisher