List:       vim-dev
Subject:    Re: VIM7: Error building snapshot (CVS 2/26 9:00PM CST)
From:       "Antoine J. Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck () belgacom ! net>
Date:       2005-02-27 18:32:14

Bill McCarthy wrote:
> On Sun 27-Feb-05 6:19am -0600, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>

>>The new profiling function needs the gettimeofday()
>>function. I forgot to add the #ifdefs for it. This
>>patch should help:
>

> Thanks Bram, after reading Johnny Blase's report I
> didn't bother trying with Ming.
>
> After patching feature.h, Make_ming.mak built v7-0052
> flawlessly - albeit without the new `profile` feature.
>
> Bram or any CVS expert:  Having patched feature.h in my
> local CVS files copy, I will now get something like:
>
>     M src/feature.h
>
> whenever I run CVS again.  That is, I won't know when
> it is updated again.  Is this true?
>
> As a workaround, I'm keeping a feature.h.new (patched)
> and feature.h.orig (unpatched) so if I see other
> changes, I can delete feature.h, rerun CVS and compare
> the downloaded feature.h to my extra files.
>
> Is this how others deal with such patches?

Mostly I limit myself to "official" v6.3 patches and "official" v7
snapshots. If I need to test-compile with a patch available only by mail
(and which might or might not be included in the next "official" patch)
I patch before compiling, reverse the patch after compiling, and I don't
move the resulting binary/ies from my "development" directory (such as
$HOME/devel/vim/vim70aa/src) to my "production" directory (such as
$VIM/vim70aa).

Some time ago I used to compile with an unofficial patch (Vince Negri's
conceal/ownsyntax); in that case I patched once, kept it patched, and
didn't worry about "official" patches matching with a line offset -- as
long as they matched somewhere. But I had to reverse that patch because
it was incompatible with "official" patches 6.3.29 and later.

I don't use CVS, however; I get the patches and snapshots the
old-fashioned way -- by FTP, using an FTP client for 6.3 patches and a
web browser for 7.00aa snapshots.

Best regards,
Tony.