List:       vim-dev
Subject:    Re: Problems with windows and reporting lines
From:       Bram Moolenaar <Bram () moolenaar ! net>
Date:       2005-01-29 14:39:21

Jens Paulus wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 23:54:18 +0100, Jens Paulus wrote:
> > > here is a problem report with using windows.
> > > Enter the function below.
> > >
> > > function Testfu()
> > > '<,'>d
> > > new
> > > put!
> > > endfunction
> > >
> > > What this does is obvious, it deletes a range of text, opens and closes
> > > a window and puts the text back to the same place. The problem occurs if
> > > the function is called when the current line is different from the first
> > > line of the range.
> > > The text is scrolled upwards by that many lines that the current line
> > > was above the first line when the function was called.
> > > The text is scrolled downwards by that many lines that the current line
> > > was below the first line when the function was called.
> > > Now change the function to the one below.
> > >
> > > function Testfu()
> > > '<,'>d
> > > put!
> > > endfunction
> > >
> > > Here there is not this problem because no window is opened and closed.
> > > But the function also deletes and puts a range of text and reported is
> > > only how many fewer lines there are but not how many more lines there
> > > are. The same is with the previous function.
> >
> > great would be if I could get a notification that these problems have
> > been fixed. This is important for me because I wrote a script that
> > suffers from these problems.
> > By the way I think it would be better if the cursor would be in the
> > previously visited window after closing a window instead of being in the
> > first window in the windows list.
>
> please send me a notification that this has been fixed or I must change
> my script.

The scrolling will most likely remain as it is, it's not a bug.

The missing message has been fixed in Vim 7.

--
I recommend ordering large cargo containers of paper towels to make up
whatever budget underruns you have.  Paper products are always useful and they

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@Moolenaar.net -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        Sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\              Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
 \\\     Buy LOTR 3 and help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF.nl/lotr.html   ///