List:       vim-dev
Subject:    Re: bug report operating on rectangular area
From:       Jens Paulus <jpaulus () freenet ! de>
Date:       2004-12-31 20:47:29

Hi Bill,

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 01:34:46 -0600, Bill McCarthy wrote:
> > here I send another bug report. Suppose there is a text like this one
> > where a, b, c and d represent marks.
>
> > axxb
> > xxxx
> > xxxx
> > cxxd
>
> > Doing `ad<C-V>`d correctly deletes the rectangular text area. But
> > `bd<C-V>`d does not include the character of the d mark.
>
> You don't say what you're using.  In both 6.3.53 and
> 7.0aa Alpha (no version, but current as of 11pm CST
> (GMT-6), the 1st example deletes the entire block.  The
> 2nd example deletes the entire column with the D mark.
>
> I tried :set selection=exclusive
>
> My results were somewhat opposite of your results.  The
> 1st example deleted all but the column with the D mark.
> The second example deleted the entire column with the D
> mark.
>
> When you see something that doesn't work as expected,
> in usually a good idea to try again with default
> settings.  Something like:
>
>     gvim -u NONE -N

alright, maybe my description was wrong. Try the commands `ay<C-V>`c and
`ad<C-V>`c and you should see that the character at mark c is not
included. The same is when doing it from mark c to mark a but the
character at mark d is included when yanking or deleting the last column
this way.

axxb
xxxx
xxxx
cxxd

The version information is as follows.

VIM - Vi IMproved 6.3, 2004 June 7, compiled Jun 17 2004 19:53:10
Included patches: 1-6

This also happens when started without initialization file.
When replying on this please send me a carbon copy.

Best regards

Jens