List:       vim-dev
Subject:    Re: coredump when pasting from xterm
From:       "Alejandro Lopez-Valencia" <dradul () etb ! net ! co>
Date:       2004-08-09 13:27:39

At 05:22 a.m. 09/08/2004, Soh Tk-r28629 wrote:
>On SunOS 4.1.3_U1, compiled with gcc v2.8.0, I got a segv fault when
>trying to paste
>selected text on xterm into gvim. I disabled the signal handler to capture
>the stack  trace.
>Any idea what's happened?

I have no solutions but rather several observations:

1. GCC 2.80 is almost 10 years old. Upgrade; don't use sunfreeware copies
as they are usually (IMOE) borked, rather compile it yourself (GNU gcc
3.4.1 is the latest version I think, perhaps you'll need to compile 2.95
first and then 3.4.1 with the latter. 2.80 may be too obsolete to compile
3.4.1 directly).

2. The older SunOS linkers (and I'm talking before Solaris 2.6 a product
about 6 years newer than the OS you are using) always were problematic.
Rather use the GNU Binutils. If you can manage, use a development snapshot
(e.g., I use a 20040725 snapshot). *Don't*, under any circumstance, install
the GNU Binutils as replacements for the Sun utilities or you will break
your OS. Rather, compile and install the binutils integrated with GCC so
that they are installed as *private copies*.

3. SunOS 4.x is too old! Support was discontinued like in 1995-6, if memory
serves. See if you can have the OS upgraded to at least Solaris 2.6.

4. Debian has an excellent Linux distribution that works with your old
Sparc hardware. If you can't have your OS upgraded, I'd much rather install
Linux in your box and be able to use a contemporaneous OS and applications
that can be kept up-to-date till the box dies of old age (which can take
another ten years, those late 80's and early 90's Sun boxes were made to last).

Try again and see how that works :-)