List:       vim-dev
Subject:    Re: gtk2 toolbar icons
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2003-01-27 19:18:00

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 11:43:49AM -0600, Jason Hildebrand wrote:
> This would mean that we'd have to be able to load the icons at runtime,
> though, and potentially switch icon-sets at runtime.  Is this feasible?
> Too much work?

Part of

:help gui-toolbar

1)  If an "icon=" argument was specified, the file with this name is
used.  The file can either be specified with the full path or with the
base name.  In the last case it is searched for in the "bitmaps"
directory in 'runtimepath, like in point 3).  Examples:

        :amenu icon=/usr/local/pixmaps/foo_icon.xpm ToolBar.Foo :echo "Foo"<CR>
        :amenu icon=FooIcon ToolBar.Foo :echo "Foo"<CR>

If the file cannot be opened the next points are tried.
A space in the file name must be escaped with a backslash.

This is already built-in feature :)

Maybe regular vim icons should be left compiled in and make GNOME2 icons
in menu.vim central file?

> > Finally, IMO, unless Bram wants to change the look of Vim's icons
> > across the board, it would be nice for every platform's Vim to have
> > the same look.
> I can see the advantage of having the vim icons be consistent across
> platforms/environments, but I would argue that it as at least as
> important to have consistency _within_ the environment -- by which I
> mean that a gnome-compiled version of gvim should (by default) use
> familiar Gnome icons where possible.

As gtk-Gvim is now the only usable (sorry, kvim developers) GUI Vim for
Linux this is not safe bet. I am using Gvim in WindowMaker and use
gapplications really rarely (apart of kvim I prefer kapplications).

What I really want to see are multiple toolbars. But this is probably
many work...

Mikolaj
Learn Touch Typing with Vim:
 http://vim.sourceforge.net/script.php?script_id=461