List:       vim-dev
Subject:    RE: using vim with gtk2, gnome2, bonobo
From:       Philippe FREMY <P.FREMY () OBERTHURCS ! com>
Date:       2002-11-21 12:03:48

> I've been thinking today (while reading the thread) to xparts which has
been
> developed one or two years ago. I never used them (but Phil worked on
them), so maybe I will
> tell some mistakes :)
> These were designed to be a portable model of "components". It allows
> konqueror to embed gecko (mozilla's renderer) for example
> instead of the default khtml. XParts were done to be usable with any
toolkit
> (GTK,KDE, Motif...). Sadly noone used it... (it's still in KDE's CVS,
module
> kdebindings)

Mickael, I think you are greatly overestimating the value of XPart.

IIRC XPart is just a KPart that contains a QXEmbed, which embeds another
XWindow and communicate with using DCOP. This how I discovered the QXEmbed.
KMozilla works this way, using the C dcop bindings to communicate with the
XPartHost. So none of the problems we have with QXEmbed are going to be
solved by the XPart.

It seems like the GtkSocketPlug is more robust than QXEmbed.

Now, it is clear that we need an identified API inside vim to pass commands
and get the processing result.

	PHilippe