List:       vim-dev
Subject:    Re: using vim with gtk2, gnome2, bonobo
From:       Jason Hildebrand <jason () peaceworks ! ca>
Date:       2002-11-20 15:41:45

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 02:27, Neil Bird wrote:
>    Are the diffs. between the orig. GTK code & your GTK2 stuff big
> enough to warrant a separate gtk2.c, or is it basically similar enough
> to be done via #ifdef's?  [we'll need a chack for GTK2/1 as well].

So far, #ifdefs are probably ok.  A lot of the changes were simply
replacing function names.

>    IIRC, my GtkVim widget should function properly with zero changes
> should vim be migrated to GTK2 (a couple of unfixed GTK bugs prevent it
> being useful by default with GTK1, although it's [GTK source]
> patchable).  Maybe the bonobo code could sit in/on top of that to save
> lumping too much into the main vim source?

You sent me a copy of your GtkVim widget last year when I started work
on gnome-vim.  IIRC, it works via the client-server mechanism, and can
control a remote vim process by sending keystrokes, right?

That's a similar approach to how gnome-vim worked.  After some time, I
found that I was really limited by the communication mechanism
(keystrokes and screen scraping).  Although is would be nice to keep
this code out of vim, I came to the conclusion that putting the bonobo
code directly into vim is the best way to implement a full-featured
component.

--
Jason D. Hildebrand
jason@peaceworks.ca