List:       vim-dev
Subject:    using vim with gtk2, gnome2, bonobo
From:       Jason Hildebrand <jason () peaceworks ! ca>
Date:       2002-11-20 3:38:50

Hi,

I wrote a hack last year (gnome-vim) to be able to use vim with
Evolution, but I've decided to attempt a correct implementation of vim
as a bonobo component.  This would mean merging bonobo code into the vim
source tree, so that it can run as an out-of-process bonobo control.
I'm targetting gnome2 now, since thats the way things are moving, and
bonobo seems to have matured a fair bit.

I'm posting here primarily to check if anyone else is working on this,
or has already gotten parts of this working, because I would much rather
help someone else out than take on this task myself. :)

This is a big personal itch for me -- I'd love to see a nice vim
component which can be used from Evolution and other gnome apps (IDEs
spring to mind) -- so if no one else is working on this or wants to work
on this, I'll keep chipping away at it, as time permits.

To give you an idea of where I'm at, here's what I've done so far:

I've read a lot of bonobo documentation, and I've cobbled together
minimal "container" and "control" programs under gnome2.  The container
program activates the control and embeds it in its main window, complete
with merged menus and toolbars.  This was an exercise for me to
familiarize myself with bonobo.

Since doing that, I've spent a bit of time (well, two evenings) porting
vim to gtk2.  So far it compiles and runs, with a few broken features
(the scroll bar, xim support and a few other things).  I had to comment
out some sections of code which caused problems (and which I didn't
understand well enough to fix), so there'll be some work later to get
everything working under gtk2.

If anyone out there has done any work in this direction, or is
interested in helping along with this, I'd love to hear from you.

--
Jason D. Hildebrand
jason@peaceworks.ca