List:       vim-dev
Subject:    RE: [kvim-dev] RE: Vim's future ?
From:       Bram Moolenaar <Bram () moolenaar ! net>
Date:       2002-11-13 21:57:43

Philippe Fremy wrote:

> That is a bit exagerated. It is true that I do not have time to contribute
> to such a vim re-organisation. However, if Bram accepts vim to be slightly
> reorganised, I may find people willing to participate in the change. Sofar,
> Bram has not been willing to accept any change suggestion, so it is not even
> time to start coding.

I have not seen a design or any other indication that the vague ideas
that have been mentioned would lead to a useful improvement.  So there
is nothing for me to accept or turn down.  I can only say that I'm not
going to work on these things, since I don't have the time available.

Considering the impact of the proposed changes, and the current
stability of Vim, I would only include something when I have confidence
that the existing functionality and quality of Vim will not suffer.
This means the new setup would have to be implemented and tested before
I would include it in the main code tree.  An unstable branch could
exist for a while before we get there.

Since Vim is open source you don't need my permission to branch off and
implement all the nice ideas that you have.  Only for folding the branch
back into the main code you would have to convince me.

> I still think it would be an interesting addition for vim to separate it
> into a reusable vim-engine and a vim application front-end. This would make
> vim reusable in many context and not just hacky half-integrated components.
> But it is not going to happen for many reasons.

You're talking in buzzwords.  Sounds nice, but I have no idea what it
means in practice.

I suggest you do a bit of architectural design and show us the results,
so that we at least know what your are talking about.

7. Finish all your sentences with "in accordance with the prophecy".

 ///  Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@moolenaar.net -- http://www.moolenaar.net  \\\
///          Creator of Vim - Vi IMproved -- http://www.vim.org          \\\
\\\           Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.a-a-p.org           ///