List:       vim-dev
Subject:    Re: [kvim-dev] Re: Vim's future ?
From:       Michal Vitecek <fuf () mageo ! cz>
Date:       2002-11-13 8:38:16

Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>> No we are using vim's application, which is quite different from a vim
>> engine. Using vim the appliations creates numerous problems that could be
>> avoided if vim-the-engine could be made separated from vim-the-application.
>
>I'm afraid I don't know what you mean with a "Vim engine".  It seems
>to be irrelevant for the discussion about using Vim as a component
>anyway, since the user would still want to type all the possible Vim
>commands in it.

 i think vim-engine could be a set of methods or functions that would
 for example do:
    - given cursor position and buffer, delete two words
    - given cursor position and buffer, insert character
    - etc.

 the advantages of such engine are obvious: you've got an editing engine
 and if you wrap it with module that handles and translates the commands
 from keyboard or a scripting language to a set of method/function
 calls, IHMO you've got a fairly well embeddable editor.

--
		fuf		(fuf@mageo.cz)