List:       vim-dev
Subject:    RE: Vim's future ?
From:       Bram Moolenaar <Bram () moolenaar ! net>
Date:       2002-11-12 21:20:19

Philippe Fremy wrote:

> > > As a sidenot, if the goal if aap is really to have a powerful graphical
> > > editor framework, you should think about joining a project like Kate and
> > > help us provide better vim integration. This would be easier than
> > > redeveloping everything from scratch.
> >
> > Does Kate run on MS-Windows and Mac OS?
>
> Mac Os X, yes. On Ms-Windows with kde-cygwin too but this is not exactly a
> supported platform.

OK, thus it only works with Unix libraries.  I wouldn't call Kate
portable, which is a requirement for what I'm doing with A-A-P.

> > Can I install it without dragging in Megabytes worth of libraries?
>
> Clearly no.

Hmm, that's a big disadvantage.  It mostly restricts using Kate to
people who have KDE.  That's still quite a large audience.

> > I certainly don't want to start from scratch, but it's very difficult to
> > find something that meets my goals.  Netbeans comes close, but suffers
> > from being too large and slow (it's implemented in Java, thus
> > portability is OK).  I've been thinking about IDLE (a nice small Python
> > IDE), but it uses tkinter, which many people object against. Still have
> > to do more research into the alternatives.  I'll certainly look at
> > Kdevelop again.
>
> Have a look at Kate along with KDevelop. You certainly want to check Eclipse
> which I was told is the ultimate pluggable IDE.

I'm looking into these alternatives.  Eclipse is more or less like
Netbeans: lots of features, based on Java, big and slow.

> On the windows side, there are powerful editors: ultra-edit and Multi-edit
> are widely used. They are almost like IDE, so are probably very close to
> what you want to achieve with aap.

These are commercial, thus it's a bit difficult to get a good impression
of them.  And since these are super-editors, they don't need to worry
about modularity, which is one of the most important issues involved.

13. You refer to going to the bathroom as downloading.

 ///  Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@moolenaar.net -- http://www.moolenaar.net  \\\
///          Creator of Vim - Vi IMproved -- http://www.vim.org          \\\
\\\           Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.a-a-p.org           ///