List:       vim-dev
Subject:    Re: [vimdev] Re: Vim's future ?
From:       "Brett Pershing Stahlman" <brett.stahlman () dynetics ! com>
Date:       2002-11-07 20:13:31

----- Original Message -----
From: Brett Pershing Stahlman <brett.stahlman@dynetics.com>
To: Michael Geddes <mgeddes@au.mediacommand.com>; Bram Moolenaar
<Bram@moolenaar.net>
Cc: Vim Dev <Vim-dev@vim.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 1:40 PM

Wow! Scratch what I said about most Vi emulators embedded in other IDEs not
having support for things like registers. I'm playing around with a trial
copy of Visual SlickEdit, and was pretty amazed at the Vim-like feel of it's
Vi emulator. For example, you can enter command-line commands. You can yank
to named registers. You have unlimited undo (haven't found redo yet), even
for cursor movement commands. It even has the little column of '~' on the
left edge of the buffer where no lines of text exist! (to make a Vim user
really feel at home...) Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Vim-specific
commands (e.g., "let") are supported, but it appears to have some other
macro language. I'll have to play around with it some more to see how that
works...