List:       vim-dev
Subject:    RE: [vimdev] Re: Vim's future ?
From:       Bram Moolenaar <Bram () moolenaar ! net>
Date:       2002-11-06 23:08:31

Philippe Fremy wrote:

> I still think this is not right long term solution. This blocking call to
> vim cripples every gui.

No, that is not true.  All GUIs made so far work just fine.  Perhaps Qt
is so different that it does have a problem, but it would require an Qt
expert to say that before we can draw this conclusion.

> This adds an unnecessary complexity to the coding of a GUI for vim. So
> I would be all for an improvement of vim's internal code.

Of course everybody is all for improving the code to make it less
complex.  This still doesn't say anything about how it would be done.
Please don't make this kind of empty statement...

> Thinking more about it, it is not as simple as it sounds. I think Qt works
> well with one GUI threads, and other non gui threads. This is not the case
> here as both threads would be considered gui threads. Need to check the code
> in detail before answering clearly.

If threads might be a possible solution, that would be nice.  Do look
out for problems with handling signals, esp. on Linux.

--
OLD WOMAN: Well, how did you become king, then?
ARTHUR: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite,

 ///  Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@moolenaar.net -- http://www.moolenaar.net  \\\
///          Creator of Vim - Vi IMproved -- http://www.vim.org          \\\
\\\           Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.a-a-p.org           ///