List:       vim-dev
Subject:    Re: Vim's future ?
From:       David Brown <vim () davidb ! org>
Date:       2002-11-06 15:47:13

> Philippe Fremy wrote:

> > - vi-compatible keys for moving
> > - vim engine features like abbreviations, completion, vimrc, registers, ...
> > Those are not completely needed but if we don't provide them, vim power
> > users will feel restricted.

Not only that, but there would be absolutely no point in integrating vim
as a component.  I would feel restricted without them, I would feel like
I'm not using vim.

I've occasionally had people tell me that I should use editor 'foo',
since it has a vi mode.  I've yet to see one of these editors actually
have enough of vi functionality to really be useful.  Yes, the basic
movement stuff is there, but registers and other real basic stuff don't
work right.

Vim also has a lot of stuff beyond vi that I consider crucial to my
daily work.  Without all of this, I really wouldn't consider a vim
component to be useful for much.

Dave Brown