List:       vim-dev
Subject:    RE: Vim's future ?
From:       Philippe FREMY <P.FREMY () OBERTHURCS ! com>
Date:       2002-11-06 9:12:08

> I think an interesting question is what is more popular, VIM or KDE?  I
> know at least in my circle collegues, most of them can give a crap about
> how pretty their desktop looks, but they ALL use vim.

KDE's target is all users, from the very newbie to the advanced one. If you
won't find many vim users in the first category, you can find plenty in the
second one. I know many KDE developers that would like to use vim.

Anyway, I hope they won't have to make the choice between vim and KDE
anymore.

> I don't mean to over simplify what KDE is, but there is still a
significant group that
> prefers not having the integration that you speak of.  So, to your point
> that there are people that want this integration, thare are also plenty of
> people that do not want it.

People who do not want it, or people who don't care about it ? I don't care
about the Hurd development, but it doesn't mean that I want Hurd development
to stop. As long as it doesn't change the way you use vim, I fail to see why
you would want us to not have a vim component inside KDE.

One thing many people here seem to be missing is that our vim component does
not address a need of vim users. Those are perfectely satisfied with the
current vim or gvim. So don't assume you know what people want based on what
you need. The people that want a vim component are people that like the
power and integration of a good GUI, and still love the way vim handles
editing.

	Philippe