List:       vim-dev
Subject:    Re: Proposal: Extension to abbreviations
From:       "Preben Guldberg" <c928400 () student ! dtu ! dk>
Date:       2002-03-26 22:57:49

Thus wrote Paul Moore (gustav@morpheus.demon.co.uk) on [020326]:
> On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:25:25 +0100, Preben Peppe Guldberg
> <c928400@student.dtu.dk> wrote:

> >And, btw, so is <C-]>.

> Actually, I *implemented* <C-]>.

And taught me about it, actually (thanks). Sorry, I did not pay enough
attention at the start of the thread.

> PS I don't have any vi background, so I don't know what vi-compatibility
> issues there are.

Some vi's allow for abbreviations of the form "!c" but will silently
ignore ones with longer strings after the "!". I think Solaris (and then
probably SunOS too) and Irix works this way, while HP-UX and AIX versions
silently ignores both cases.

But tne again, other ways of specifying the behaviour could have been
used.

> I apologise if I didn't consider those issues in my
> proposal.

At this point, I'd mostly concider this a non-issue when it comes to
new commands and behaviours.

Peppe
--
                                      "Before you criticize someone, walk
Preben "Peppe" Guldberg  __/-\__       a mile in his shoes. That way, if