List:       vim-dev
Subject:    Re: KVim 6.0 development
From:       Joseph Edward Miele <jemiele1 () tampabay ! rr ! com>
Date:       2001-11-04 21:04:18

As per your suggestion, I changed the hard coded font. Using font
"etl-fixed" at 12 points. That works much better for me. :-)

Now I can start report real problems when using kvim! LOL!

Since kvim shares configuration settings with gvim, I thought that a
good way to determine how well kvim is working is to compare
functionality between the two. My testing method is to perform an
operation in gvim and then try the same operation in kvim.

1. Syntax highlighting. Edit any C++ source file by specifying it at the
command line. For example: gvim foobar.cc. Syntax highlighting enabled
by default.

Tried the same thing in kvim. Syntax highlighting disabled. From the
menu, selected Syntax, then Automatic. Kvim returned error:

Error detected while processing /usr/share/vim/current/syntax/syntax.vim
Line 42:
E216: No such event: filetypedetect BufRead
Hit ENTER or type command to continueinue

The first problem is that the error code E216. I don't know why it fails
in kvim, but it works just fine in gvim. I guess I will need to check on
that one some more. The second problem is the Hit ENTER message. Notice
that last word is "continueinue". Little display problem on the status line.

2. Insert prompt on the command line. Must be font related again. If you
start gvim with no arguments on the command line. Then, press the letter
"i" to enter insert mode, gvim displayes "-- XIM INSERT --" in the lower
left corner of the window. Try the same operation with kvim and it
displays "-- INSERT- --". Display bug. Here is something interesting.
Press the INSERT key to enter replace mode. Kvim correctly displays "--
REPLACE --". Now press INSERT again to return to insert mode. Kvim will
display "-- INSERT --" correctly this time.

That's all for now. Maybe I will beat on kvim some more tomorrow. Take
care! :-)

- Joe