List:       vim
Subject:    Re: temporary keyboard mappings
From:       "A. J. Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck () skynet ! be>
Date:       2005-09-30 10:21:48

Robert Cussons wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have a keyboard mapping that someone suggested in tips that maps escape to
> caps lock and vice versa. What I am trying to do is have this mapping only
> present in Vim, i.e. in Vim if I press caps lock it will go into command
> mode, but if I then go into firefox and press caps lock it will act as
> normal. Is there a way to do it? It is well beyond my knowledge to work out
> how!!
> Many thanks,
> Rob.

Unless I'm mistaken, mapping Caps Lock cannot be done from inside Vim
since it has no awareness of it. So you'll have to do that elsewhere, in
X11 I guess, seeing you're posting with kMail. I'm not sure if it can be
done or not, I guess it may depend on whether you can modify the XConfig
settings "on the fly" without killing and restarting X. But don't take
my word for it, the innards of X11 config is something I know only very
little of. You may want to check the relevant X11 documentation but from
where I sit I can't tell where it is.

Best regards,
Tony.