List:       vim
Subject:    Re: Commented Tags
From:       "Antoine J. Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck () belgacom ! net>
Date:       2005-02-27 3:06:25

Vigil wrote:
> Well, I thought someone might know of a plug-in that checks before jumping.
>
> (BTW thankyou very much for vim!)
>
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Bram Moolenaar Bram-at-moolenaar.net |Vim| wrote:
>

>> Vigil wrote:
>>
>>> It is a shame vim can't skip jumping to tags (specifically, function
>>> definitions) that have been commented out...
>>

>> That's actually something for the program that generates the tags file.

In principle, if the file which contains the tags has been modified, the
corresponding tagfile should be regenerated. Similarly, if a Vim help
file has been added or updated, ":helptags" should be run on the
corresponding directory.

To avoid forgetting the tags update, I recommend regenerating the
tagfile immediately after the update of the files containing tags.

An alternative procedure, if those files are source files for a compile,
would be to add in your makefile a rule for the tagfile (with
dependencies on all files containing tags); then you can either have the
binary depend on the tagfile, or include the tagfile in some other
rule(s) (for instance "make all" and/or "make install" etc. depending on
your makefile). Then make will regenerate the tagfile if needed, when a
rule that depends on it is invoked.

Best regards,
Tony.