List:       vim
Subject:    Re: jumplist & changelist related questions.
From:       "Antoine J. Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck () belgacom ! net>
Date:       2005-02-17 9:40:38

R. shankar wrote:
> Hi Antoine,
>

>> R. shankar wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> >    * Is there anyway to make the jumplist size to 10 or 20 ?
>> >    * Normally jumplist lists the jumps such that the oldest one
>> first and latest one last.
>> >                  61     1    0
>> /amount/proj/REUSE_BLOCKS/work/shankar/packages/PCK_GENERAL.vhd
>> >    * If I am using a [BufExplorer] plugin, then in the jumplist, I
>> have [BufExplorer] also listed which is not necessay.
>> >
>> >                  50   200    0 [BufExplorer]
>> >           Is there any way - not to show the [BufExplorer] in the list.
>> >
>> >    * Is there anyway to make the jumplist size to 10 or 20 ?
>> >    * Normally changeslist lists the changes such that the oldest one
>> first and latest one last.
>> >               5    25    7
>> >               4    25    0
>> >               3    26    0 library IEEE;
>> >               2    27    0 use     IEEE.std_logic_1164.all;
>> >               1   266    0 new_chunk := LOW;
>> >           Is there a way to list the latest one first and oldest
>> last. I thought this is more logical.
>>
>> Which is more logical can be debated; I prefer to have the latest jump
>> or change at the bottom, which is at a fixed position on the screen
>> regardless of how many there are. AFAIK that is not parameterizable.
>>
> I agree that it is debatable and matter of style. The reason I asked
> this is that,  if the number of  is more jumps like  90, then it first
> lists 90 to 50. Then I needs to press space to list the 39 to 0.  Since
> it is not parameterizable, no more questions on that.
>

>> To avoid entering a particular jump into the jumplist, see ":help
>> :keepjumps". It's not automatic: each jump command must be prefixed by
>> :keepj to avoid listing it.
>>
> This is a great thing for me. I was for looking for this only.
> I went through the help and I tried. Here are my problems -
>
>         autocmd BufRead [BufExplorer] keepjumps normal j normal k normal
>         n normal ^M
>
> Generally we write
>        autocmd BufRead *.txt {commands}
>
>       I am not sure, how to specify the [BufExplorer]. I think it is not
> file. If I press CTRL-G, vim returns "[BufExplorer]"
>       The second problem is -
>           keepjump {commands}
>
>       In the BufExplorer, we search, move over lines using j,k and press
> enter to go to a file.
>       I do not know how to specify the all the commands. I tried to give
> the commands spaced.
>

> Regards,
> shankar

I don't think the BufRead event will be triggered for BufExplorer.
BufNewFile maybe, or BufWinEnter.

":normal" does not accept another ex-command on the same line; but you
can do

	:autocommand BufNewFile [BufExplorer] keepjumps normal jkn<CR>

though I don't see the purpose of jk (1 line down, 1 line up). If "n" is
"jump to next match" you would have to search, or let @/, prior to
starting BufExplorer.

Best regards,
Tony.