List:       vim
Subject:    display search result without moving cursor
From:       Neil Zanella <nzanella () cs ! mun ! ca>
Date:       2004-11-10 17:50:02

Hello,

Suppose I am editing an XML file. I have:

<foo>
  <bar name="donkey">
  </bar>
  <bar name="elephant">
  </bar>
  <bar name="tiger">
  </bar>
<foo>

and the ... is 1000 lines of code. I want to issue a vim command such
that, whenever the cusor is between a <bar> and a </bar>, a titlear
is displayed on the top with: <bar name="elephant"> on one line at
the top or bottom of the screen.

Basically, what I am asking for, is a search (/ or ?) feature, which
does not move the cursor, but instead simply displays the line where
the match is found (to remind the user if they are editing donkey,
elephant, tiger, or whatever) without moving the cusor from its
editing position (I know I could type `` but is there a better way?

Thanks,

Neil