List:       vim
Subject:    Re: redrawing a vt100 terminal
From:       Gary Johnson <garyjohn () spk ! agilent ! com>
Date:       2004-08-31 22:20:59

On 2004-08-31, paul.stuart@allianzcornhill.co.uk wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm using VIM on hp-ux, and there's some behaviour
> I'd like to change.
>
> Basically, when I invoke vim, and then exit from vim,
> it doesn't redraw what was in my terminal window before
> I entered vim.
> The prompt returns (down the bottom), but what I see is
> the text I was editing earlier in vim.
>
> I'm sure I've seen versions of vi which return you to the
> exact terminal you were in before vi was invoked.
>
> Any ideas?

This is discussed under

    :help xterm-screens

I use vim compiled for HP-UX 10.20 with

    --with-tlib=curses

as one of the configure parameters.  I almost always run vim in an
xterm window.  I prefer to have vim leave the terminal unchanged
when it exits rather than restoring the previous contents, so I have
this in my .vimrc

    set t_ti= t_te=

and have xterm set to _not_ "Enable Alternate Screen Switching" by
putting this in my ~/.Xdefaults:

    XTerm*VT100*titeInhibit: true

Given that's what I do to _disable_ this behavior, perhaps that will
help you figure out what you need to enable it.

I also just tried an experiment in an xterm window where I selected
"Enable Alternate Screen Switching" in the Ctrl-Middle-Button menu
and invoked vim as 'vim -u NONE' to skip my .vimrc settings.  When I
exited that vim, the previous terminal contents were restored, so
one can get the behavior you want with vim, xterm and HP-UX.

HTH,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@spk.agilent.com     | Wireless Division