List:       vim
Subject:    Re: Gvim, Mac OS X and terminal settings
From:       Bram Moolenaar <Bram () moolenaar ! net>
Date:       2004-06-30 9:14:09

Gabriel Birke wrote:

> Now I'm answering myself because I've found out new things (new for me,
> not for experienced vim users):
>
> The reason for the behavior described in the previous mail is that in
> gvim the terminal type is set to "builtin_gui". This terminal type can
> not be changed.
>
> Now again my question:
> How can I get a fully functional terminal (readline support, bold
> character  support, color support) environment from gvim?
> Can I define a termcap file for builtin_gui to make the terminal more
> comfortable? What capabilities has builtin_gui?

The "builtin_gui" terminal type can't be changed.  It is handled
internally.

The GUI can use bold and color.  If that doesn't work then there must be
something wrong with how you compiled Vim or with how you use it.

Starting a shell from within gvim indeed gives you a "dumb" terminal.
Supporting some simple terminal (e.g., a vt52) has been on the todo list
for a while.  Including a terminal emulator inside Vim isn't a nice
thing, it makes Vim a bit more bulky.  You can do something like
":!xterm -c command" if you need to.

--
Seen on the back of a biker's vest: If you can read this, my wife fell off.

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@Moolenaar.net -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        Sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\              Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
 \\\  Buy at Amazon and help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF.nl/click1.html ///