List:       vim
Subject:    linebreak and list
From:       emf <vim () mindlace ! net>
Date:       2004-03-31 17:49:19

Hi, vim compatriots!

I've been using vim for seven years or so, but only recently have I
started really trying to get intimately familiar with it. I have a
couple of problems I've been having.

I mostly work with python, where whitespace counts. As such, for a long
time, I had it set to display leading tabs with >--- , because I didn't
want to accidentally use expandtab when I was editing a file that was
mostly filled with tabs.

However, I also really wanted line wrapping to happen on word
boundaries. After some frustration, I discovered my mistake; linebreak
doesn't work when list is set. Is there a technical reason for this?

Another thing I would really love is if vim would preserve the indent
of the prior line when wrapping; I can't find any way to accomplish
this using settings- am I missing something?

--
nothing can happen inside a sphere
that you could not inscribe upon it.