List:       vim
Subject:    :normal oddity
From:       Hari Krishna Dara <hari_vim () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-03-29 19:39:49

Vim: 6.2.380 on WXP

I observed this odd behavior by accident. If you have a map that
calls input(), and you execute the map using :normal command, you never
see the input prompt. Here is an example:

:nnoremap _ab :call input('ab')<CR>
:normal _ab

My suspicion is that command doesn't even get executed. If you change it
as below, it works fine:

:nnoremap _ab :nnoremap _ab :echomsg strftime('%c')." ab"<CR>
:normal _ab
03/29/2004 11:30:14  ab

Thanks,
Hari