List:       vim
Subject:    Re: Vim hang when XML syntax highlighting very long lines?
From:       Bram Moolenaar <Bram () moolenaar ! net>
Date:       2004-02-26 20:52:02

Andrew Kephart wrote:

> 	I haven't been able to find this in the archives, so please
> forgive me if this has been mentioned before...
>
> 	I've noticed a hang in vim (6.2.120) when syntax highlighting
> an XML file with really long (>8000char) lines.
>
> 	Whenever one of these really long lines is brought onscreen,
> vim hangs (or, more precisely, pauses for a long time; ~30sec).
>
> 	If I turn off syntax highlighting, there's no problem; if I
> change the filetype (to html, for example), there's no problem.
>
> 	Any suggestions?

This is a known problem.  Long XML lines are simply too complicated to
do syntax highlighting for (without tricks).  I am still thinking of a
way to speed it up.

--
Microsoft: "Windows NT 4.0 now has the same user-interface as Windows 95"
    Windows 95: "Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot"

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@Moolenaar.net -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        Sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\              Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
 \\\  Buy at Amazon and help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF.nl/click1.html ///