List:       vim
Subject:    Re: I THINK SOMEONE ON THE LIST HAS THE VIRUS - excuse theuppercase
From:       "Antoine J. Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck () belgacom ! net>
Date:       2004-01-28 18:54:12

Keith Roberts <kroberts@wpas-inc.com> wrote:
> [...]
[...]

Outlook and Outlook Express are two different programs. I use Outlook
Express myself, I don't know anything about using Outlook (non-Express).

In Outlook Express, the "Preview pane" can be enabled or disabled separately
for Mail and for News. I set it "on" (open) for News and "off" (closed) for
Mail.

Security settings are set in OE by means of the "security zones" of Internet
Explorer. Setting Outlook Express to Restricted Zone, and setting that zone
settings to Reject cookies, disable Java, disable VBScript, disallow ActiveX
and plugins, and not preload images, gives you some degree of protection
against malicious HTML mail. Other methods include: not opening HTML mail if
you don't know where it comes from, or opening it only after setting OE to
"offline" mode. Use the view-source facility first if you hesitate about
whether you can afford to open some particular email.

I recommend setting OE to send all "outgoing mail" in plain text, even when
responding to HTML mail. In OE, that setting is in the Tools -> Options
menu.

Regards,
Tony.