List:       vim
Subject:    Re: Mappings
From:       Russell Shaw <rjshaw () iprimus ! com ! au>
Date:       2003-11-29 14:42:56

Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
> Russell Shaw <rjshaw@iprimus.com.au> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>In windows, i can do: <SHIFT>+<DOWN> (shift key and numeric keypad
>>"down" key simultaneously), and it gives the effect of pressing
>>v (visual), then pressing the "down" key to extend a selection.
>>How do i do that noremap mapping?
>
> This effeft is not the result of a mapping: when "startsel" is present in
> the 'keymodel' option, then pressing a shifted arrow key starts Select mode
> (which is a variant of Visual mode, but where an 'isprint' key will
> _replace_ the selection and start Insert mode). If 'keymodel' (q.v.) also
> includes "stopsel", you need to hold the Shift key down to extend the
> selection with arrow keys.
>
> I think (but haven't tested it) that you may reassign that action to any key
> with (let's say)
>
>     :noremap    <F5>    <S-Left>
>     :noremap    <F6>    <S-Down>
>     :noremap    <F7>    <S-Up>
>     :noremap    <F8>    <S-Right>
>
> (similarly <S-Home>, <S-End>, <S-PageUp>, <S-PageDown>)
>
> provided that 'keymodel' includes "startsel".
>
> Beware: using the ":behave" command alters 'keymodel':
>
>     :behave mswin        " side-effect:    set keymodel=startsel,stopsel
>
>     :behave xterm        " side-effect:    set keymodel=
>
>     I prefer :set keymodel=startsel    " YMMV
>
> HTH,
> Tony.

This is really great:

set keymodel=startsel,stopsel	" enables shift-arrow keys for visual
vnoremap    <C-Insert>	y
vnoremap    <S-Delete>	d
vnoremap    <S-Insert>	P
inoremap    <C-Insert>	y
inoremap    <S-Delete>	d
inoremap    <S-Insert>	<C-O>P

However, after a year of learning vim, i feel guilty
about corrupting my brain with this stuff now.