thanks for the reply. it didn't quite work, but it lead me in the right direction to getting it working. here's what i did: [cjb@semaphore cjb]$ cat .vimrc set background=dark syntax on set number set tabstop=4 set shiftwidth=4 set nohls set ic filetype indent on now it seems to be working well...=) thanks for all the help, -- christopher On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 01:12:34PM +0200, J?rgen Kr?mer wrote: > Hi, > > christopher j bottaro wrote: > > ok, here's what my .vimrc file looks like now: > > > > [cjb@semaphore puzzler2]$ cat ~/.vimrc > > set syntax=enable > > with this line you tell VIM to use the syntax of the 'enable' language. > Unless there really is such a language you probably wanted to say > > syntax on > > > set background=dark > > set number > > set tabstop=4 > > set nohls > > set ic > > autocmd! > > autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.cpp,*.h,*.c,*.c++ set cindent shiftwidth=4 > > Here you setup your own kind of filetype detection scheme. You can take > advantage of VIM's one by replacing the last two lines with > > filetype on > > In the case of C and C++ files this would source the default filetype > plugins, which already set cindent. To set the shiftwidth option to 4 > you then would create (or supplement) your own filetype plugins, > ~/.vim/after/ftplugin/c.vim and .../cpp.vim, respectively, with the line > > :set shiftwidth=4 > > Regards, > J?rgen > > -- > Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere > in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. (Calvin) >