List:       vim
Subject:    Re: Swap File
From:       Bram Moolenaar <Bram () moolenaar ! net>
Date:       2003-08-29 13:09:28

Manu Anand wrote:

> For a simple 1 Kb file , I am having a swap file of 12 Kb.
> Can somebody explain if this is desirable or a bug?

This is intentional.  The swap file uses pages of 4 Kb.  There are at
least two pages, mostly three: the first page with info about the file
being edited, the second page is the top of the tree structure
administration, the third page is the first data page.

The pages could be made smaller, but then I/O becomes a lot less
efficient.  It's a space-speed tradeoff.

268. You get up in the morning and go online before getting your coffee.

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@Moolenaar.net -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///          Creator of Vim - Vi IMproved -- http://www.Vim.org          \\\
\\\              Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
 \\\  Help AIDS victims, buy here: http://ICCF-Holland.org/click1.html  ///