List:       vim
Subject:    Re: GTK2 font artifacts (vim 6.2.71)
From:       "Keith R. John Warno" <keith.warno () valaran ! com>
Date:       2003-08-27 17:14:14

* Tim Chase <gumnos@hotmail.com> [27/08/2003 1134EDT]:
> > Greetings vim users.  I have a recurring problem with this fine editor
> > (version 6.2.71) when invoked as gvim using GTK2: "font droppings" or
> > "font artifacts" are sometimes left behind whilst typing.  I cannot
> I've had a similar problem with decorated (bold, ital, etc) underscores
> not getting properly erased (could easily be described as "font
> artifacts") which a refresh solved.  I discovered that
> :set linespace=1
> solved the problem (it had been set to 0 before).
> My problem manifested itself when the screen scrolled a bit (using ^E
> and ^Y to scroll caused a trail of underscores to show up)

Hmm I wish this was the answer but unfortunately it is not.  Rather than
being an artifact issue above/below a character, the problem is to the
left of the characters.  Using this partciular font (granted, I have not
tried any others), the insert mode cursor (a blinking vertical bar)
slightly overlaps the left edge of some characters.  For example, a way
to repeat this would be:

bash$ gvim
:set guifont=Monospace\ Bold\ 16
<ESC>
<SPACE><SPACE><SPACE> (etc)

and you should see a bunch of droppings.  If you don't then something is
really fubared on my end and i don't know where.  :)

I have a screenshot of this here:
http://www.valaran.com/~kw/fontdrop.png

You can see the 'w' is clipped by the cursor on the left edge.  The
little bit of the 'w' that overhangs the cursor is what gets "dropped".

In the short term I will just try another font but I'd like to know
where the culprit really is.

Thanks for your feedback!
krjw.
--
Keith R. John Warno                         [SA, Valaran Corporation]
Take the time, reevaluate\ It's time  to pick up the pieces,\ Go back