List:       vim
Subject:    Re: case insensitivity in unix?
From:       Gary Johnson <garyjohn () spk ! agilent ! com>
Date:       2003-01-27 19:45:18

On 2003-01-27, David Menuhin <manute@vianet.net.au> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I am trying to find how to turn off the case sensitivity in the unix TAB
> completion system
>
> For example, in the win32 gvim, if I type
>     :e a<TAB>
>
> I get completions such as About.c
>
> While on the unix gvim, if I want About.c to be completed, I have to type
>     :e A<TAB>
>
> Is there a way to make the unix one case insensitive?  I can't seem to
> find it in the help.
>
> Thanks for any help

I think you misunderstand the problem.  Despite appearances, file
names in Windows are case-insensitive.  That is, in Windows,
about.c, About.c, ABOUT.C and aBoUt.C all refer to the same file.
In windows you cannot give names to two files in the same directory
that differ only in the case of their letters.  Windows allows you
to specify the case of the letters in file names to make the names
easier for people to read, but the case is otherwise ignored by the
file system.

File names in Unix, on the other hand, are actually case-sensitive.
In Unix, about.c and About.c refer to two different files.

So the difference you are observing in the behavior of filename
completion is due to differences in the two file systems and how the
two OSs present file names to the user rather than in the filename
completion mechanism of vim.

Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@spk.agilent.com     | Spokane, Washington, USA