List:       vim
Subject:    Re: Vim Shell
From:       "Dan Sharp" <dwsharp () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2003-01-02 19:40:37

>From: "A. S. Budden" <vim.mail@totalise.co.uk>
>
>I am a hardened dos user (sorry!) and do everything I can using a
>combination of Vim and the WinXP command prompt, including running
>windows programs and any file manipulation etc. I was wondering if
>anyone had come up with a plugin or alternative version of Vim that
>would act as a command prompt - anything you typed would be run and the
>result appended to the buffer file that was visible at the top. I know
>you can do this crudely with :.!, but you then have to go to the end of
>the output before typing another command or it's all back to front, or
>worse, overwritten...

Instead of using :.! to write the output at the current line, try using :$!
to write the output starting on the last line.  Actually, that will replace
the last line, so try something like

:$put ='<cr>' | $! <your command here>

This will add a blank line to the end of the buffer, then replace it with
the output of the command.

Dan Sharp